Donor: Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation and Austrian Development Cooperation
RDP (Regional Development Program) – Northern Albania
The overall objective of this project is to assist the tourism development of Rubik area and Mirdita in general, helping it to become sustainable over time, enhancing the environmental, social and culture values in the proposed sub-region, strengthen the small infrastructures in developing and to extend the tourism activities, the alternative types of tourism with focus on cultural and rural tourism in the sub-region, as well as to open long-term process of regional cooperation in the tourism as a support to economy development.
Specific objective of the Project:
- Building a tourism approach, design an action plan for seasonal, ecological and sustainable tourism development and implement it in cooperation with local community and institutions.
- Reconstructing several old traditional houses, in order to transform them into guesthouses, ready to be visited by national and international visitors.
- Building a detailed structure of touristic road signs, in order to help the visitors in the identification of the main attractions of the proposed area
- Developing health and safety standards for this guesthouses, as well as intermediary stations for tourists that would visit the area, involving local resources and ensuring an active and a genderly balanced participation and benefit.
- Including rural areas of Lezha region in the touristic offer of national and regional tour-operators and marketing of a new tourism destination.
The project is implemented by local authorities in partnership with local and regional stakeholders, enabling the sustainability of the project, and continuation and support to its objectives of the project. The inclusion of local SMEs and LGUs inculcate a common sense of ownership and positive results which will encourage continued action, increasing their efforts and collaboration on future continuation of such initiatives.
This project has foreseen the production of promotional products as well as promotional materials to contribute to the enhancement of the project. A touristic guide in Albanian and English language, showing the main attraction of the focused area, in terms of natural, historical and traditional relevance. A detailed map was created with the specific intent to help the tourist in their hiking itineraries. A short professional documentary has been made in order to highlight the reconstruction process of the guesthouses, and the surrounding natural and artistic landscape. This website is another promotional tool created in order to gather all this tools and permit to the interested visitors and stakeholders to be constantly updated about any news involving the interested area. These promotional tools are already available, contributing directly in to the sustainability of the project..
This project will give life to this local network by institutionalizing the whole process of tourism promotion and development based on the stakeholders’ close cooperation. The project, building momentum in the regional tourism sector in Mirdita and Lezha Region, will also serve as a model for other projects, on ways to develop eco- and agro- tourism and to catalyze environmentally sustainable development.